Knoxville, TN | Sr. DevOps Engineer | Full time
We are actively recruiting a Sr. DevOps Engineer for our client in Knoxville, TN. This position is a 6 month contract to hire. Due to client request, qualified candidates must be eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- Support deployment, monitoring, and management for ORNL research projects
- Ensure the availability, performance, scalability and security of production systems
- Identify automation opportunities to improve DevOps operations
- Review architecture and offer recommendations for improvements
- System troubleshooting and problem solving across multiple platforms (dev/test/prod)
- Continuous process improvements
- Embrace continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) processes
- Evaluate new technology options and vendor products
- CI/CD technologies – Jenkins, Gitlab runners, etc.
- Configuration Management - i.e. Puppet, Ansible, etc.
- Collaborate with research teams to ensure new environments meet requirements
- Identify and document IT best practices that will improve the systems deployment function
- Ability to present and communicate complex technical concepts to small to medium groups of scientists and engineers
- Work with research teams to design workflows for hybrid and cloud-based workloads
- Migrate workloads from internal servers and VMs to AWS
- Ensure the secure and effective operation of computing systems through compliance with our client's procedures and IT Internal Operating Procedures.
- Troubleshoot system problems quickly and effectively.
- Work with other systems engineers and vendors to resolve hardware and software issues.
- Answer escalated helpline calls in addition to primary project work.
- Monitor systems performance.
- Install and configure software, both commercial packages and various open source packages.
- Maintain documentation/notes on software builds and installs.
- Collaborate with and mentor others within the DevOps team
- Off hours support may be required
- Unix/Linux Systems
- Managing container infrastructure with Docker/Kubernetes
- Configuring and managing automation tools such as Git, Jenkins, Ansible, Puppet or other CI/CD tools
- Scripting with Bash, Python or Go
- RHL7, VMWare 6+
- Network and device monitoring systems
- Technical documentation
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical subjects or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- RHSA, VCP, AWS Certified DevOps Engineer
- 10 years experience with Unix/Linux Systems
- 3 years experience with cloud and containerization