Steps to Determining Your Work Priorities
While finding the perfect job is pretty rare, you can take steps to land an IT job that provides a greater sense of satisfaction at work. Before you begin your next job search, take some time to answer the following questions.
Questions to Determine the Type of Role You Would Enjoy
- What tasks do you currently enjoy doing at work?
- What tasks do you currently dislike doing at work?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses at work?
- Is there a subject you would like to learn more about?
- Is there a task you would like to learn how to do?
Questions to Determine the Type of Environment You Would Enjoy
- What do you like about your current employer?
- What do you wish your current employer would change?
- If you work remotely, would you prefer to work in an office full-time or part-time?
- If you work in an office, would you prefer to work remotely full-time or part-time?
- What do you like and dislike about your personal workspace? (ex: cubicle, quiet office, coworking space, home office)
- Do you enjoy commuting to work?
- Do you like or dislike your current work attire requirements? (ex: professional, business casual)
Questions to Determine the Type of Benefits You Would Enjoy
- Do you need company-provided insurance or is your insurance already covered?
- Do you feel you currently have enough paid time off, or do you feel that you need more?
- Is a retirement plan important to you, and do you want your employer to contribute?
- Would you like more opportunities for professional development?
- Would you benefit from wellness perks such as reimbursement for a gym membership?
How to Find Jobs that Match Your Priorities
Determining your work priorities is only the beginning of landing an IT job you will enjoy. You also need to know how to determine if a role is a good fit for you. A great way to make sure you find a job you will enjoy is by working with a recruitment company like Patriot Talent Solutions. At Patriot, we are able to match job seekers with great IT jobs in Knoxville, Tennessee and Tampa, Florida because we get to know the companies we serve as well as we do the job seekers we serve. Your recruiter takes the time to get to know you and your priorities before recommending any positions, and they can often provide you with information you may not find on a job posting such as insight into the company culture and potential for career growth. Your recruiter also helps you prepare for job interviews and advises you on how to talk about your work priorities with potential employers.
Consider Contract or Contract-to-Hire Positions
If you want to try out a company before committing to full-time employment, our contract-to-hire job model may be a great option. With contract-to-hire IT jobs, you work as a contractor for a set amount of time, and when your contract expires, you and your employer determine if you would be a good fit to transition to full-time direct employment with the company. If you would prefer to try out several IT jobs and companies before committing to one role, you may enjoy contract IT employment. As an IT contractor, you can fill temporary IT roles at a variety of companies and take note of the positions and companies you enjoy. If a company you’ve contracted with posts a full-time position, you will already have a good understanding of the company culture and be able to determine if you would enjoy being a full-time employee. As a contractor at Patriot Talent Solutions, you are eligible for our benefits package and paid holidays. Once you are hired as an employee with a company, your benefits package will be determined by you and your employer.
Looking to make a career move in the IT industry? Check out the Patriot Talent Solutions job board for remote roles and in-person IT roles in Knoxville, Tennessee and Tampa, Florida, and contact our team to get started!